January 20, 2012

12 Years and Counting
January 21, 2000
A Day I will never forget

Twelve Years Ago today my life truly changed with the death of my real dad. For those of you who do not know he lived in Houston and had a heart attack. I did not get to see or hear the words I love you before he died. I can remember everything of the day, it was a dreary, cold, rainy Friday. Ill spare you all the details. My precious Pop had to tell me the news and as he told me he cried with me. I will never forget how heartbroken my parents were for me. They had always been able to fix my problems but this was out of their control. It was a horrible day. For a week, it felt like the worst dream possible. The first 6 months were absolutely the hardest, but my parents, family, and friends loved me through it.

Today I might have my moments of sadness, but I want to share with you what I've learned through this Journey and the blessings the Lord sent me through it.

First of all, God never left me when I was so angry about what had happen to my dad.

Second, God surrounded me by people who had lost their dad and walked through the journey with me (My Pop, Bro. Kevin, Bro. Charles, Bro. Keith, Shelley, Kirbe and Kirsten)

Third, instead of crying out to God I cried out to food... I gained alot of weight in a very short period of time. All I wanted to do was eat and sleep. I was a MESS... But again I was shown unconditional love. It took me a year to get the weight off.

During this time, God brought one of my favorite families back to Lufkin, Texas. Chris and Becky Roberts showered me with love and I started babysitting for them. Ill never forget the stories Chris told me of my dad. I have to tell you hearing those stories has brought me lots of laughter.

One of the things that I am reminded most is there are some Yucky moments with my dad that I have forgotten, I for the most part remember the good times with him.

For those of you that are experiencing grief let me just tell you I haven't forgotten him. Sometimes I hear a song, a memory, or read a book that reminds me of him and I cry. Recently one afternoon I called one of my best friends-Jenny, as I had just had a moment of sadness of missing my dad. It is in these moments I wish I could hear his voice, or listen as he told a joke.
As hard as this journey is, I have learned so much about how the Lord takes care of every single detail when we experience a loss. It truly is a Journey, and I am thankful for every person God has brought into my life through this journey.

Also, I am thankful for the POWER of Prayer- for those of you who were in my life when it happened thank you for your prayers. I appreciate all of the love I was shown as my world was shattered. If you are grieving from losing a loved one, I would love to walk with you, hold your hand, and pray for you as you go through this journey. Im so blessed to be spending this weekend with some precious kiddos that will keep me entertained on this day. Again God provides!

Blessings and Love,
Jenn

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful! I pray that one day Jordan will show this kind of spiritual maturity and growth over the loss of her father!

    love you sweet friend!
    Pen

    ReplyDelete