July 26, 2013

The Organization of a TEACHER

The organization of a Teacher 
is Key for Success!

How do you go about to be organized?
Well here are some items to chew on:

Item 1
Calendar
  • Do you have a Calendar month by month on your desk?
  • Do you set up the calendar on your email?
  • Do you get a month by month planner that you can carry around with you everywhere you go?

I put all of my calendar events in my phone and in a monthly planner I carry with me. 
 For example, I type in workshops, field trips,  special events at school, ARDS, SITS, and etc.  
Item 2
Papers for the Week
  • After you run your copies for the week where do you file them?
  • Do you place them in a file folder hanger?
  • Do you place them in your top filing cabinet drawer?
  • Do you place them in individual color file folders by your teacher area? 
  • Do you file them by the day of the week ? 
  • Do you file by the subject? 
For me, I file in a file folder hanger using the day of the week. In the extra spots I put extra copies of math/ela/science just in case I am absent.
Also, as I file for the week I put the copies in the order as I will teach for that day.  

                                               Item 3
                                 Turning in Student Work
  • When students complete their work where do they place it?
  • Do they turn it into a tray?
  • Do you have different trays with each subject area?
  • Do you collect all papers together?
 I collect all papers and clip them together.  I place them in a red tray to grade after school.  As students are working in Daily 5 they place their activity from their station in the tray so I can assess their work!



Item 4
                                            Graded Work
  • After you assess students work what do you do with it?
  • Do you file in a mailbox for students to come get their work?
  • Do you place the work in their homework folder? 
After many years of teaching I have tried this many different ways you have to do what is best for you!!

Item 5
Pencils
  • Where do you place sharpened pencils?
  • What do students do with broken pencils?
  • How many pencils do you give your students? 
  • Do your students have a certain place to put their pencil? 
  Oh how students love their pencils!  I have given my students 2 sharpen pencils that go in their home when they are not using them.  You might be wondering where is the pencils home, they place it in the top of their desk!
When the pencil breaks they go place it in a can that says "Unsharpened pencils".  Then they grab a new  sharpened pencil.  This has helped me from having pencils just walk away!

Item 6
Organization of Files
  •  What do you do with all of your master paper copies of each unit?
  • Do you separate your filing cabinet drawer by each subject?
  • Do you alphabetize your filing cabinet?
  • Do you file in order of the units?
  • Do you keep a Big Binder for each subject and place the copies in it?
I love using my Filing Cabinet and everything is always alphabetized!  Here is how I organize mine:
1st Drawer- ELA Reading then Writing and Word Work
2nd Drawer- Math
3rd Drawer- SS/Science
4th Drawer- Themes/Months of the Year/etc
In my desk drawer I keep files from Trainings/etc

Item 7
Communication Log
For Communicating with Parents I set up a binder with numbered tabs for each student.  This way I do not have to get new dividers each year! Under each tab I  put the Student Info sheet that the parents filled out.  Next, I place a Communication Log to go with it.  After I call/email/conference with the parent I jot down notes to remind myself what we discussed.
Also, when I make brag calls or send home certificates I log in the notebook! 
 
Item 8
Conferencing with Students 
Yes, I keep another binder with numbered tabs for each student.  Again so I do not have to change the dividers year after year!  In this binder I keep notes on conferences from reading and writing!  This way I can see how they are growing and target skills we can hit in both reading and writing!
 
Item 9
Guided Reading 
4 Drawer Stand
Next to my Guided reading table I have a 4 drawer stand so I can grab whatever materials I might need for that day!
Whats in the 4 drawer?
 Drawer 1 are markers/pens/pencils/dry erase markers/ little dry erasers/map pencils/glue sticks/scissors
Drawer 2 Flip Charts of different activities to do with students that are laminated and on a ring
Drawer 3 Graphic Organizers
Drawer 4 magnetic letters/small cookie sheets/dry erase boards/cut sentence strips
 
Item 10
Daily 5 Stations
Every station has a HOME in my classroom. I have a designated area with supplies which means students can use whatever they need during their station.  After you model and teach they become great at keeping the supplies very neat.  When I ring the bell for clean up I build in time for clean up!  This has created student ownership of each station!
 
As you begin making decisions about your own classroom if you have any questions.  I am happy to help you!
Happy Friday,
Jenn





No comments:

Post a Comment